The Applied Ethics certificate is designed to empower professionals to apply ethical theory and reasoning in the workplace. The “ethical workplace” has emerged as an attainable ideal; understanding that ethics underscores all personal and professional interactions is essential to leaders in every profession.
Our approach is to bridge disciplines and professions in a systematic exploration and analysis of ethical issues facing individuals across professions and cultures. The program provides a core which introduces students to ethical principles, frameworks, and models. Courses cover engagement in ethical debate in a multicultural and globally diffused environment, encouragement of individual, professional, and civic responsibility to promote ethical leadership and enables students to provide coherent and compelling reasons justifying personal ethical stances and decisions.
Twelve credits are required for the Certificate. Students must maintain a “C” or higher in each of the four courses in order to be given credit toward the certificate.
- Enhance your degree with ethics education
- Open to all majors
- Diverse course options
- Real-world ethical experiences
- Describe foundations of ethics and ethical theory
- Identify multiple ethical frameworks and theories
- Communicate how standards of professional ethics apply to the student's intended career
- Examine and apply ethical theories related to decisions about self, society, technology use, food, sustainability, research, and other areas
- Articulate ethical decision-making processes
- Provide and defend coherent and compelling reasons justifying personal ethical stances and decisions
- Embody and encourage individual, professional, and civic responsibility to promote ethical leadership
- Engage in productive and constructive ethical debate in a multi-cultural and globally diffused environment