General UW-Stout Graduate School Application
All prospective graduate students at UW-Stout must follow a standard application process through our Graduate Studies. Beyond that, each graduate program has specific requirements that must be met to be successfully admitted to the program:
Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- Fall Term: January 1 (Firm)
To be admitted with full status to the M.S. in School Counseling program, you must:
- Hold an appropriate bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
Program-Specific Application Requirements
To successfully apply for the program, first complete the UW System Application and receive your Application ID. Then, use this ID to fill out the UW-Stout Graduate Studies Collection Form, where you will provide the following:
- Background Check (completed through an external vendor)
- Candidate Information Form
- Personal Statement - approximately approximately 500 words (not to exceed 3 typewritten, double-spaced pages)
- Describe your strengths and weaknesses as a potential graduate student, as well as your motivation for entering the program.
- Clearly indicate your understanding of the roles and functions of professionals in the program.
- Reference activities/employment in which you have been involved that make you a particularly good candidate for admission into the program.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Application Review Process
A review of all applications will be conducted by the program director or a program admissions committee.
Applicants who are recommended by a faculty committee are invited to a personal interview. After the interview, you will be notified within one week about your acceptance or denial to the program.