Tic Tac Toe Board: Project Overview
Submitted by: Kerry Marshall, Oconomowoc High School
- Equipment Required: 3D Printer, Router, Hand Tools
- Time Required: 4 hours
Instructions for Tic Tac Toe Board
- Download the Tic Tac Toe game board template.
- Open VCarve and select "Create New" from the left side menu.
- Set the board dimensions to 12"x12" with a height (z) of 0.75" to the upper left and the XY Datum Position at the lower left with the unit in inches.
- Then import your game board template. It may not show up in the visible area, so zoom out to find it using your mouse.
- Select all of the drawing by making a box around it. Drag the drawing to the lower left of the work area using the button in the Edit Objects menu.
- Select all parts of the drawing again and select the "Join Open Vectors" icon to make sure you will be able to form your toolpaths. Click "Join."
- Open the Toolpaths toolbar on the right side of the page. You can pin this open by clicking on the pin at the top so that it stays open.
- First, create the toolpath for the pockets by selecting the inner squares and then the "Pocket Toolpath" button. Set the depth for the pocket to 0.25" and follow the inside of the line.
- Under "Tool" make a new bit profile by clicking "Select" then "Copy." Name the tool 3/8" Compression Bit, Tool Type = End Mill, Diameter = 0.375 inches, Pass Depth 0.85 inches, Stepover 0.15 inches, 40.0 %, Spindle Speed = 14000 r.p.m., Feed Rate = 4.0, Plunge Rate = 1.0, Tool Number = 1. Click "OK."
- Everything else stays the same. Calculate. Check your work by clicking "Preview All Toolpaths" on the menu that comes up next. If everything looks okay, click "Close."
- Next, click back to the VCarve Pro-ShopBot Edition tab at the top to return to your drawing. Select the outside line by clicking on it. Create the toolpath for the outer edge of the board by clicking "Profile Toolpath." Set the start depth to zero (0) and the cut depth to 0.85" so that it is slightly deeper than the 3/4" material being used. This will ensure you cut all of the way through the board.
- Select the 3/8" Compression Bit for the Tool in the Wood section of the Tool List. The Machine Vector should be set to Outside/Right, and nothing else will change. Click "Calculate." You will get a warning message here. Click "OK."
- Preview all toolpaths to make sure the pockets will cut first and then the outside edge. Click on the checkbox next to Toolpath List and then back to the VCarve Pro-ShopBot Edition to see the direction of each toolpath. Click "Close."
- Save the toolpath by clicking on the button. Be sure both the Pocket and Profile paths are selected. Check "Output All Visible Toolpaths" and save the toolpaths as a .sbp file onto a flash drive. Click "Close."
- Bring your Flash Drive into the ShopBot room.
Tic Tac Toe Game Pieces
To make the X's and O's for your board, download the X and O template. This file is intended to be used with 0.25" acrylic, but you may also choose a different material.
Customizing the Tic Tac Toe Board
You may engrave the back of the board, which can be done using the Tic Tac Toe board back template.