We encourage students to consider the Federal PLUS and the SELF loan programs before pursuing an alternative loan option. Graduate students: please contact the Financial Aid Office before pursuing this type of loan.
- Graduate or undergraduate students at an eligible postsecondary institution.
- Credit-worthy co-signer suggested (may be required depending on the lender).
- Student must have a valid FAFSA on file with the UW-Stout Financial Aid Office for the current award year before this loan can be pursued (per UW-Stout Financial Aid Policy).
- The interest rate is either fixed or variable and is determined on credit-worthiness.
Alternative education loans are NOT subsidized by the government.
- Annual maximum is limited to student's cost of attendance minus any other financial aid.
Compare a list of private education loans through FASTChoice's online tool. You can link to loan applications directly from this site. Your lender will send your application to our office after your loan has been credit-approved and you have signed the promissory note. Your lender will provide you with interest rate, cosigner requirements, and loan disclosures.
FASTChoice Online Tool
The inclusion of loan products and lenders on this site does not imply individual endorsement. We maintain professional relationships with ALL lenders. Our officials are prohibited from accepting financial or other benefits in exchange for displaying lenders and loan options in FASTChoice. The lenders on this list are included for three important reasons: first, they are loans that have remained popular with UW-Stout students over time. Also, the programs offer fully electronic processing and disbursement. Lastly, we feel the lenders included on the list provide the best service to our students. Information on the list is directly provided by the lenders and is subject to change. If you are interested in a lender not listed in FASTChoice, contact that lender directly or visit their website for more information. UW-Stout will process any approved private education loan.
If you have begun a FAFSA application for regular financial aid, we will process your private loan AFTER you have been offered and have accepted your regular financial aid offer. This assures you'll receive the best aid package possible.
Parent PLUS Loan vs. Alternative Loans
Weighing these two loan options? Browse a side-by-side comparison to help determine the best option for you.