Welcome to UW-Stout - we are so excited to have you as part of our campus community!
We're happy your student will be joining us this Fall! Their next step is to attend First-Year Registration and Orientation (FYRO).
FYRO is a required full day program and is when your student will work with their first-year advisor, select their Fall 2022 classes, pick up their UW-Stout laptop, BlueCard, and begin their orientation to UW-Stout! The FYRO experience will be comprised of two steps:
Advising and Registration
The morning of FYRO will be reserved for students to work with their advisor to learn more about how to be successful at Stout and select their Fall 2022 classes.
The afternoon of FYRO will be reserved for students to learn more about UW-Stout and how to make campus their home away from home.
Orientation will be comprised of three parts (in-person and virtual):
1. FYRO: They will begin their orientation as part of their FYRO day on campus.
2. Online: All students will be required to complete their Orientation Online Canvas course as well as three other required online programs prior to the start of the fall semester.
3. Week One: Students will be split into groups during their first few days on campus and will attend information sessions and activities to get to know campus.
FYRO: Next Steps
Prior to enrolling in courses students must complete the UW-System Placement Tests in Math and English. Have your student sign-up for Placement Tests prior to selecting their FYRO Date. If your student does not complete their Placement Tests at minimum one week prior to their scheduled FYRO date, they may not be able to enroll in all of their required courses.
Reserve a FYRO Date
- Have your student check their UW-Stout email for an invitation on or after March 14th!
- First-Year Registration and Orientation dates are as follows:
June 6-10, 13, 14, 16, 17 and June 20-24
- Students will be asked to select one of the above dates to attend FYRO. This is a required full day program, students should select a date that they will be available to attend 7:45 am - 4:00 pm.
- Guests are welcome, but not required to attend. Guests will be separated from their student for the majority of the day and will have their own programming and informational sessions.
- Lunch is provided for each student + one guest, additional guests can purchase a meal ticket on site.
Software Tools for Success
Students should consider downloading these additional apps on their phone. These tools will help them to be successful while here at Stout.
- Canvas Student: Canvas is UW-Stout's online classroom (similar to blackboard which your student may have used in high school).
- Microsoft Teams: Teams is a Microsoft tool for meetings similar to Zoom. We will be using Teams for live sessions during orientation. Your student will gain access using their Stout credentials after enrollment, prior to enrollment they can access events as a guest in Teams.
- Navigate: Navigate is a student success tool which your student will use to schedule appointments with their advisor, view to-do items and more! You will gain access using your Stout credentials after enrollment.