Knowing Processes and Resources
The majority of students at UW-Stout will complete their education without pursuing a complaint against another student, a staff member, or the university. However, if you believe you have a reason to file a complaint, the university has established procedures to respond to student complaints in a fair and equitable manner.
Complaints Regarding Class or Instruction
- Students are encouraged to address the complaint(s) with the course instructor directly.
- If they not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, or if they are uncomfortable confronting the instructor, they may take the complaint to the chair of the appropriate academic department.
- If the resolution is not achieved there, students may contact the appropriate academic dean.
Complaints Related to University Employees
- Students are encouraged to address the complaint(s) with the individual directly.
- If the resolution is not achieved there, they may bring the complaint to the appropriate supervisor or director.
- If the resolution is not achieved there, students may contact the Dean of Students.
Complaints Related to Behaviors of other Students
- Students should contact University Police to report behavior that is immediately threatening or an emergency.
- Other complaints about other concerning behaviors should be reported to the Dean of Students office.