Transfer Guides & Resources

Find transfer guides for your specific college, and answers to your frequently asked questions.
In this Section

General Education Transfer Guides

The following are general education advising guides to assist in making decisions on what general education courses you should register for based on your major area of interest.


Illinois Articulation Initiative - all two-year institutions | PDF

  • Alexandria Technical College | PDF
  • Anoka-Ramsey Community College | PDF
  • Anoka Technical College | PDF
  • Central Lakes College | PDF
  • Century College | PDF
  • Dakota County Technical College | PDF
  • Fond du Lac College | PDF
  • Hennepin Technical College | PDF
  • Inver Hills Community College | PDF
  • Lake Superior College | PDF
  • Minneapolis Community and Technical College | PDF
  • Minnesota North College | PDF
  • Minnesota State College - Southeast | PDF
  • Minnesota State Community & Technical College | PDF
  • Minnesota West Community & Technical College | PDF
  • Normandale Community College | PDF
  • North Hennepin Community College | PDF
  • Northland Community & Technical College | PDF
  • Northwest Technical College | PDF
  • Pine Technical & Community College | PDF
  • Rainy River Community College | PDF
  • Ridgewater College | PDF
  • Riverland Community College | PDF
  • Rochester Community and Technical College | PDF
  • Saint Cloud Technical & Community College | PDF
  • Saint Paul College | PDF
  • South Central College | PDF

If your school is not listed above, please refer to this general Minnesota Transfer Curriculum general education advising guide:

  • Transfer Guide for MnSCU Institutions | PDF


  • UW-Eau Claire Barron County
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Green Bay Manitowoc, Marinette, & Sheboygan 
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Milwaukee Waukesha & Washington County
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Oshkosh Fond du Lac & Fox Cities
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Platteville Baraboo
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Stevens Point Marshfield & Wausau
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Whitewater Rock County
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF
  • UW-Extended Campus
    • General Education Advising Guide | PDF



  • Wisconsin Technical College System
    • Associate of Applied Science - General Education | PDF
  • Blackhawk Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Chippewa Valley Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Fox Valley Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Gateway Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Lakeshore Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Madison College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Mid-State Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Milwaukee Area Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Moraine Park Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Nicolet College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Northcentral Technical College
  • Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
  • Northwood Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate | PDF
  • Southwest Technical College
  • Waukesha County Technical College
  • Western Technical College
    • Liberal Arts - Associate  | PDF



Math Requirements by Major

Use the Math Sequence Chart and Math Placement Flowchart to determine what math course to take based on any math you may be transferring. The Math Sequence Chart will show what math is required for the major you are interested in pursuing at UW-Stout, while the Math Placement Flowchart illustrates the progression of our math courses. Courses that transfer as MATH GXX qualify to meet requirements for any major that states At least 1 course from MATH or STAT listed at the bottom of the chart. MATH GXX courses also serve as a prerequisite to MATH 120, 123 (with a grade of C+ or higher) and MATH 150. 

General Education Requirements by Major

The General Education Requirements by Major chart identifies current UW-Stout majors and what is required as part of general education for each major. This document may be used in conjunction with the general education advising guides provided above or by using the program plans for each major available in our online bulletin. | PDF

Transfer Credit Report Explanation

The TRANSFER CREDIT: REPORT you have access to in your Student Center shows how the courses you successfully completed at other institutions are accepted in transfer by the University of Wisconsin‑Stout. An explanation of how to read this report is available here.  | PDF

Transfer FAQs

Will my credits transfer?

All college-level credits should transfer to UW-Stout in some manner. The exception is that remedial coursework, introductory courses or orientation-related courses may not transfer unless an exact equivalent is offered at UW-Stout.  Remedial courses are typically only seen in an introductory math or English course.

If you completed a course that was only a three-credit course but UW-Stout’s equivalent course is four credits, you will only receive credit for the number of credits you earned at your previous institution. 

For example, most institutions offer a College Algebra course that is three credits. UW-Stout’s equivalent is MATH 120 College Algebra is a four-credit course. You’ll receive credit for our MATH 120 course, but only receive three credits because that is what you earned at your previous institution. The credit difference can be waived, but will have to be made up somewhere else in your general education coursework.

On the flip side if a course at a previous college is 4 credits and UW-Stout's course is 3 credits, you'll receive credit for our 3 credits course plus 1 credit of elective.  In other words, you'll receive full credit for the college level course you took at a previous institution.  The only exception is for remedial coursework where you'll only receive credit for our remedial course equivalent.


When will I find out how my credits transfer?

Once you have been admitted, your previous college coursework will be officially reviewed and a transfer credit report will be posted to your Access Stout.  You will be notified when this is done to both your UW-Stout email and personal email that was listed on your application to UW-Stout.  Closer to registration time, you'll also be connected with an adviser who will assist in the course selection and registration process.  We also recommend you review the steps on our Transfer Transition website. 

How many credits do I need to have before i can transfer?

We do not require a specific minimum. Ideally we'd like to see you complete a minimum of 12 college level credits of coursework.  There is no maximum number but we advise that you become aware of the requirements for the major you are interested in. You can access the program plan online via the Undergraduate Bulletin. Many majors provide a four-year or eight-semester plan also accessible from the program plan listing. The four-year plan helps identify where prerequisites or sequencing of courses is key to progressing through your major in order to graduate in a timely manner.

Are there courses required for all UW-Stout students?

Yes, all of our majors require that students complete:

  • ENGL 101 Composition I
  • ENGL 102 Composition II
  • COMST 100 Fundamentals of Speech (public speaking)

Many schools require similar courses. We specifically require a public speaking course however, and that is not always a requirement at other schools. We strongly recommend you take public speaking over an interpersonal communication course, if possible. Interpersonal Communications does not substitute for our Fundamentals of Speech course.

In addition, all our majors require a math course or statistics course. To find out which math course is required for the major you’re interested in, refer to the Math Sequence Chart. This chart also provides the sequencing and prerequisites of courses that may lead up to the required math course. 

All majors also require at least one natural science course that includes a lab. Some majors require a specific natural science course. Please refer to the program plan sheet for your major area of interest, which can be found online via the Undergraduate Bulletin

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Currently there is no application fee to apply to UW-Stout for 2023-2024.

Do I need an ACT/SAT score report?

As a transfer student we don’t require an ACT/SAT score report, but if you completed either test we recommend that you submit the information, if possible, to be included in your review. 

For some of our majors, if you scored well on your ACT/SAT, it may give you direct admission into the program. Some majors have additional requirements that might include ACT/SAT scores.

Do I need my high school transcripts?

We require high school transcripts from all applicants, unless you have already earned a bachelor’s degree at the time you apply.

We must verify that you completed secondary school. If you didn’t graduate from high school, but completed a GED/HSED, we need a copy of your Score Report or a transcript verifying you successfully completed secondary school.

What transcripts do I need to submit?

We require official transcripts from all institutions attended. The UW System application states:

"List all institutions of higher education currently or previously attended, both U.S. and foreign (even if you withdrew). Include name of college for courses taken in high school, colleges, universities, online campuses, technical colleges, the institution you are currently attending, extension programs, etc., and any degree(s) earned."

Failure to list all institutions may result in disciplinary action, a recision of admission, and/or invalidation of credits or degrees earned.

If you officially withdrew from an institution prior to earning credit, proof of withdrawal is required.

Official transcript must be sent directly to UW-Stout Undergraduate Admissions as the recipient.  We cannot accept them as a forward/attachment from you. Electronic (PDF) transcripts may be sent.  Hard copy transcripts may be mailed to: 

   Office of Admissions
   University of Wisconsin-Stout
   212 Sorensen Hall
   Menomonie, WI 54751

Can I fax my college transcripts to you?

We do not accept faxed college transcripts.

Official transcript must be sent directly to UW-Stout Undergraduate Admissions as the recipient. We cannot accept them forwarded/attached from you. Electronic (PDF) transcripts may be sent.  Hard copy transcripts may be mailed to: 

   Office of Admissions
   University of Wisconsin-Stout
   212 Sorensen Hall
   Menomonie, WI 54751

Will you accept a PDF of my college transcripts?

If the school you are currently attending or previously attended uses an electronic transcript service for sending transcripts, we do accept PDFs directly from that service with UW-Stout Undergraduate Admissions as the recipient. We cannot accept a PDF sent to you (the student) that you then forward to us (UW-Stout). 

How do I transfer my FAFSA awards to UW-Stout?

To be considered for financial assistance at UW-Stout, you must add UW-Stout’s financial aid code (003915) to your FAFSA.

Be sure to tell your other school that you will not be attending the following term so they cancel any financial aid you have pending.

Does my GPA transfer?

No, your GPA nor grades do not transfer and count in your cumulative GPA as seen in your Stout record.  However, to be considered for graduation with honors, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 must have been earned in all credits from all previous institutions attended.

What about courses tested out of at my previous college?

Questions about credit awarded by testing are answered on our Prior Learning Credit website. 

If you were placed into a higher course through placement testing, you may receive credit for lower courses.   Email or one of the transfer counselors listed to ask your specific question.

If you still have questions, contact us at or directly contact one of the transfer counselors listed. 


Do I have to live in the residence halls?

UW System requires that all traditional freshman/sophomore students live in residence halls.  All admitted students are sent information from University Housing and may sign the contract to live in the residence halls.

If any one of the following three are true, you are not required to live in the residence halls.

  • You have been out of high school for 2 years;
  • You are 21 by the time the semester begins;
  • You are transferring junior status (60 credits).

You will still have to log into the Housing Gateway to complete initial information, which includes the above information, to be waived living in the residence halls.

I’m accepted! Now what?

Congratulations! After being accepted, you will receive an e-mail informing you that your transfer credit report is complete and how to access it. For summer or fall admits, this will be sent starting mid-February; for spring admits, it will start mid-October. We will also connect you with an adviser who will assist with the registration process. 

Read through our Transfer Enrollment Checklist for important dates and deadlines. The Advisement Center also has some Transfer Transition Steps that will make sure you're fully ready to attend UW-Stout.

There are no negative implications if you register for and then decide not to attend UW-Stout. We do not require a monetary deposit of any kind. If you register for classes and then decide not to attend, you only need let us know in writing prior to the start of the semester (first day of classes) so we can inactivate your record and withdraw you from your courses.