State Authorizations

Rules and agreements with other U.S. States and Territories
In this Section

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

Wisconsin is a member of SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) and is currently in compliance. UW-Stout is a SARA-approved institution, which allows it to operate distance education activity in states that are SARA members. 


At this time, the following 49 U.S. states are SARA members:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas*, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa*, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland*, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota*, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington*, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

* See the Notes for Out-of-State Students for special information regarding Arkansas, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, and Washington.

The remaining non-SARA state of California does not regulate online distance education programs; therefore, UW-Stout is authorized to offer distance education programs to residents in all 50 U.S. states.

In addition, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are members of SARA.

As of 8/3/2015, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands does not have a licensure board. They will contact UW-Stout when one is created.

UW-Stout is in general compliance with the Republic of Palau, including programs with internships, field experience, co-ops, etc.

UW-Stout has requested authorization and is waiting for a response from the following: American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Professional Licensure and Certification

General Disclosures to Prospective and Current Students

If a student plans to apply for licensure in a state other than Wisconsin after completion of their program, the student should refer to the information below.

The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers degree programs and certification programs that may lead to professional licensure or certification; however, licensure and certification requirements vary from one profession to another and from state to state. UW-Stout programs are designed to meet the education requirements of professional licensure and certification in Wisconsin. Our programs may also meet education requirements in other states; however, because state licensure and certification requirements are subject to change, we are unable to determine whether or not our curriculum will meet requirements in other states.

If a student intends to seek licensure or certification in a state other than Wisconsin, UW-Stout strongly encourages the student to contact that state's licensing board to ensure the UW-Stout program will meet the necessary educational requirements before beginning that program. The student should also discuss the question with the UW-Stout program director. Refer to the Professional Licensure Directories linked in the column at right to help connect with the appropriate licensing body in the state where the student intends to practice.

Additional Information on Licensure & Certification

States vary regarding the professions they require to be licensed and how licensure functions. Some states require an individual to graduate from an approved program. Others require an individual to meet certification requirements of a national organization. A specific amount of training can also be required, as can successful completion of an examination based on a state-requisite exam score. In some cases, licensed professionals must complete continuing education on an annual basis.

In addition, licensure requirements are always subject to change. We strongly recommend that you inquire with the state board to confirm you understand and will meet the requirements for licensure before--and after--enrolling in your program of choice. Completion of a UW-Stout program does not guarantee employment or licensure in a given profession.

Also note that some state laws require a criminal background check, which may disqualify an individual from obtaining licensure. Field experience sites also generally require background checks before accepting students for a practicum or internship position. As such, it is your responsibility to determine if your own circumstances pose any barriers.

The contents of this page align with new federal requirements described in 34 CFR § 668.43 and outlined in UW System Administrative Policy 121 (SYS 121).

Licensure & Certification Determinations by State
Positive Licensure & Certification Determinations Negative Licensure & Certification Determinations No Licensure & Certification Determinations
UW-Stout has determined that our curriculum meets the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in the states listed below. UW-Stout has determined that our curriculum does not meet the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in the states listed below. UW-Stout has not made a determination that our curriculum meets the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in the states listed below.
Minnesota* See note below

Not Applicable


Alabama               Alaska    
Arizona                 Arkansas    
California             Colorado    
Connecticut         Delaware    
Florida                  Georgia    
Hawaii                  Idaho    
Illinois                   Indiana    
Iowa                      Kansas    
Kentucky              Louisiana
Maine                   Maryland
Massachusetts    Michigan
Minnesota*           Mississippi
Missouri               Montana    
Nebraska              Nevada        
New Hampshire   New Jersey
New Mexico          New York    
North Carolina     North Dakota    
Ohio                      Oklahoma 
Oregon                  Pennsylvania
Rhode Island        South Carolina
South Dakota       Tennessee
Texas                     Utah
Vermont                Virginia
Washington          West Virginia

* Note -- In May 2021:

  • UW-Stout's MS Clinical & Mental Health Counseling was believed to meet educational requirements leading to licensure in Minnesota. 
  • UW-Stout’s MS Marriage and Family Therapy was believed to meet educational requirements leading to licensure in Minnesota.
  • UW-Stout's BS Dietetics was believed to meet educational requirements leading to licensure in Minnesota. However, starting in 2024, a master's degree will be required to take the National Registration Examination for Dietitians. 
  • Other programs may meet educational requirements leading to licensure in Minnesota; however, the requirements are subject to change.
  • Before beginning any academic program that leads to licensure or certification, UW-Stout strongly recommends that you contact the appropriate state licensing board where you wish to seek licensure to determine whether the program you are considering will meet that state’s licensing requirements

Education Licensure

Wisconsin Teacher and Related Services Licensure

Educators apply for Wisconsin Initial Licenses and Renewal Licenses in teaching, pupil services, administrator, and other license categories using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. ELO allows educators to provide the information, supporting materials, and payment needed for DPI to process their license applications. The system streamlines the application process and allows the applicant to manage their own licensing information, including printing a copy of their license certificate and renewing their licenses when applicable.

Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • If you completed your Wisconsin preparation program before 9/1/2004, please follow the directions at

  • If you completed your program between 9/1/2004 and 12/31/2013. Please email with current legal name, previous name, date of birth and graduation month to request your information be submitted to DPI.

Please Review all Directions Carefully before Beginning Your License Application.

Before you begin your license application, the Certification Officer is required to submit your license information to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI). If you are a current student this will be completed once you finish all requirements in your program. Please follow the following steps when applying for any type of license in ELO:

  1. Create a WAMS account (Wisconsin Access Management System) -
  2. If you have ever applied for and/or been issued a license by DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system by connecting your WAMS account to an existing account
  3. Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. -
  4. Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO -
    IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate/illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
  5. Have your credit card ready
  6. Log in to ELO System to apply

License Types/Levels

Initial License requests

First-time teachers, adding a new field of teaching, administrator, school psychologists and school counselors.

Other Licensing Related Links

  • ELO Public Search for Wisconsin Licensed Educators -

  • Setting up a WAMS account (YouTube)

  • Electronic Fingerprint Submission for Wisconsin Licensing through Fieldprint -

  • If you completed your first license prior to Sept. 1, 2004, but are just now applying for that Wisconsin license for the first time, you will need a paper PI 1612 form completed and signed by UW-Stout that you will then upload into the Department of Public Instruction's Educator Licensing Online (ELO) when applying. This PI 1612 form is available for download from DPI's ELO web page (

  • New requirement for applicants who complete their online license application after January 30, 2014: If you are seeking a license in a field that now requires the Foundation of Reading Test for Wisconsin, you will need to include your score report along with the PI 1612 form mentioned above.

Minnesota Teacher and Related Services Licensure

Read all directions carefully before beginning the online application.

  • Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board Applications.
  • Submit the “Minnesota Verification of Completion” Form to the UW-Stout Certification Office either PDF or via US Postal Service. Please provide the address the Verification of Completion Form should be sent back to.
  • Certification Officer will obtain official transcripts for your Minnesota license application.
  • Request a Minnesota fingerprint card either from the UW-Stout Certification Officer or from Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board.
  • Minnesota requires all license application materials to be sent together and the UW-Stout Certification Officer can do that. Please submit all required documentation together to the Certification Officer with the Minnesota Verification of Completion form and fingerprint card if the Certification Officer mails material. 

Instructions on applying to add an additional license to an existing Minnesota license

Once you have completed your program:

  • Complete the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board Applications.
  • Submit the completed Application form to the UW-Stout Certification Officer either PDF or via US Postal Service to the address listed below.
  • UW-Stout Certification Officer will obtain official transcripts for your add a field to an existing Minnesota license application.
  • Minnesota requires all license application materials to be sent together and the Certification Officer can do that. Please submit all required documentation together to the Certification Officer with the Minnesota Verification of Completion form.

Helpful Minnesota Licensing Links

Education Licensure in Other States

States and/or regions are continually revising their teacher licensure rules and requirements. Please check with the specific state’s licensing agency (see links below) for information about their licensing requirements.

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction also provides information about License Portability, including a link to a comparison of state policy on teacher license requirements. 






























New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota





Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota







West Virginia



Puerto Rico