An Annual Virtual Event Hosted by the
University of Wisconsin-Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute (SVRI)
Dates: January 17-18, 2024
Purpose: Provide a virtual forum for sharing innovative and creative solutions in vocational rehabilitation (VR) that are field-initiated (frontline), improve the consumer VR experience, and result in high-quality employment outcomes
Philosophy: Some of the most innovative and creative solutions come from professionals who work directly with consumers and recognize needs, opportunities, and new possibilities. This expo is designed to give frontline VR professionals a forum to share new ideas, innovative solutions, and creative projects with others in the field. It is also an opportunity to be inspired by peers to think differently, reconnect with creative abilities, and revitalize professional commitment by seeing the field from an exciting new perspective. The expo will be offered virtually on an annual basis to ensure the ability of all frontline staff to attend, participate, and be inspired.
Presenters: All staff and organizations – public, non-profit, and for-profit - involved in services to VR clients are encouraged to submit a presentation proposal. This includes support staff, counselors, supervisors, district managers, and senior managers/agency directors. Relevant organizations include State VR Agencies, Community Rehabilitation Programs, VR Service Providers, Independent Living Centers, Veterans Services, Health Care Providers, State Labor Agencies, Special Education Teachers, Adaptive Technology Specialists, American Job Centers, Private Companies, and others involved in helping people with disabilities to maximize their participation in the workforce.
Audience: The target audience for the expo includes staff members of Public VR Agencies, Community Rehabilitation Programs, VR Service Providers (non-profit and for-profit), Independent Living Centers, Veterans Services, Health Care Providers, State Labor Agencies, Special Education Programs, American Job Centers, Higher Education Institutions, Public and Private Funders, Community Partners, Private Businesses and others who want to learn about innovative solutions to help people with disabilities maximize their participation in the workforce.
- The proposal should describe an innovative solution, activity, project, or program started within the presenter’s organization by one or more staff members. The innovative practice does not need to be evidence-based or backed by research, but it should have been in use for one year or more and have some proof of efficacy. The hope is to find grassroots problem-solving within organizations, including “crazy thoughts” that became successful new processes, approaches, or programs.
- All presentations will be prerecorded. The selected presentations will be available 24/7 for the conference and for several weeks after the end of the conference.
- There will be scheduled live sessions with selected presentations. For selected presentations, the members of the presentation will be present to answer questions during the Live Discussion.
- All material contained in a presentation or as separate handouts must be available for conference attendees to download and use at their discretion. No presentations which contain proprietary materials will be allowed. No presentations which appear to the review committee to be ads for a presenter’s product will be allowed.
- If a potential presenter considers this an opportunity to show a new product to potential customers, we recommend purchasing a sponsorship to the conference and showcasing their product(s) in the vendor hall.
Questions and/or Assistance Preparing the Proposal:
The goal is to secure a broad range of presenters and topics for this expo. The expo committee is especially interested in examples of innovative strategies, solutions, projects, and programs that were created by or in collaboration with marginalized communities and/or with underserved or unserved populations and that meet the needs of people with the most significant disabilities.
You can expect to hear back from us after September 29, 2023, about next steps.
For questions about this Request for Proposals or assistance preparing the proposal, email email@example.com.
Proposal Submission Form